I’m a sucker for New Year’s. There’s just something about it as this collectively agreed magical day for starting over, that I really like. I’m not a fan of big new year’s parties or going out, but I like to hang with friends or family and wait for the ball to drop, give a toast with champagne to usher in the new year, all that good stuff ; ). And I ALWAYS make resolutions, most of which I never keep. (in short, I am the epitome of the average person on new years xDD)
I thought that this year instead of just making my resolutions and hiding them away in a journal somewhere, I would share them here on my blog so maybe I won’t fail so hard this time. There are always SO many things I want to do and/or do better, so I had to have a serious think about it and narrow it the fuck down to 5. I feel like sometimes I fail because I set the bar too high and end up performing way under due to the pressure I put on myself. So here are 5 things I would like to achieve in the new year:
- submit writing to more places. Okay, I suck at this. The fact that I suck at this is really, really bad. I was going to have “write more” be my resolution, which has been my writing resolution up until this year, but I feel like I should focus on an area other than producing new stuff. So this year I want to focus on submitting to literary magazines and getting my newest series agent-ready so I can draft up a query and submit that too.
- keep up with this blog. SELF-EXPLANATORY haha. So, you see, writing this here is really killing two birds with one stone xD.
- read 100 books. This is a challenge I started and failed last year. I only read 38 (ouch). There are so many books on my to-read list and I really want to comb through a lot of them because they multiply every day. I’ll be updating my progress on Goodreads.
- eat healthier. I know, I know, everyone has this one as well as a work out resolution. I’m not making a workout res this year, I did it last year and actually got halfway through the year before quitting but I am really not inspired even now to work out LOL. This resolution is not to ‘eat healthy’ (I would fail coming from the place I am) but just to ‘eat healthIER’ Let me explain…AVERAGE DAY FOR ME: Breakfast: donuts, Lunch: cheeseburger, cheese fries Snack: chocolate Dinner: chips and dip, something fried. I’m not exaggerating. So this resolution should be pretty easy, the bar is so low. Even if I replace something bad with a single healthy thing, say eat a piece of fruit a day and keep the rest the same, I will still be living up to this resolution.
- get dressed every day. This one is kind of weird, but I would really like to try to abide by it. In general but especially in the cold months, I can be prone to depression and I feel like getting dressed, even if I’ve got nowhere to be, kind of helps in a small way. Also I have a lot of clothes and I would like to have plenty of opportunities to wear it all so at the end of the year I can know what to donate xD
That’s it! There’s more I’d like to do, but I need to pick things to FOCUS on instead of trying to do it all. We’ll see how it goes, maybe I’ll make a post at the end of the year (assuming I keep up with #2, ha. ha. ha.) & see how well I did. Good luck to anyone else who made resolutions this year- I hope everyone keeps at least one & I’ll see you on the other side!!